Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Change On The Fly Or Die

After agonizing over content , I finally decided to roll with the original weirdness from the book illustration since it was already named and published. This position hit the wall particularly hard later. The ticking Teefes look like mattresses having an adventure, and the added textures reminded me of a comment my Deddy made about an earlier fabric mosaic. He mentioned that the oddly detailed finely grained fabric patterns added an interesting counterpoint to the odd but simplistic cartoon-like picture. I totally agreed, and later while looking at the bizarre mattress Teefess decided to, "Free the Calico Cat" and as it turned out the Jacquard horse as well. Having now given up on my original color scheme, I began to dig through my fabric scraps for alternative solutions to more colors. It's a good thing too, since the further I got in filling in the details of the picture, the more obvious became that it would work well only if it were twice or three times as large. Rather than "Live or die as is," We will live or die, redesigned on the fly." Since the crazy dream-like quality of the piece is more important than any single over detailed element, redesigns to accommodate my level of sewing skill and odd new fabric choices will have to fall under, "I meant to do that." Meanwhile, I intend to push on still having fun on purpose and finish this sucker.

No comments:

Post a Comment