Saturday, January 7, 2017

Celadon Topped And Two Axis Simplified Begun

 Even with no fixed plan for this quilt, the  large hexagons really moved it along. Sewing late at night and on the weekends I still managed to get this far in two weeks and tile a shower during the same two weeks. As it got bigger I kept laying it out on top of a queen sized bed and turning it various ways and pining on pieces according to the cheat sheet. None of it is pre shrunk so I'm expecting 14% shrinkage (ow). With the rows running lengthwise on the bed alternating lefty righty there's a wavy edge about 5 or 6 inches off each side of the mattress. because of the way the hexes touch it should be possible to cut straight across each end and have solid green straight edges top and bottom.


 Since I've got to wait a bit before I can get my batting and the material for the back I dragged out an earlier project and decided to take another run at it. To the right is the foam board experiment cut in with an Xacto knife and stuffed down in the cuts with a piece of a credit card. Next to it is a section of the densest sample I was able to sew. It was crazy slow and that is the only piece I made that size. It might be good for clothes though.

In this picture the sane arrangement has room for fourteen or so sock monkeys per square instead 1 3/4 monkeys like the earlier test. The goal is to make the top out of the full two axis pattern quilting atop each edge and piecing the back together out of larger single wiggle squares. The idea is to reference front to back by basting the lines of the back to the front network by hand, then quilt it all by machine from the front. There's still a lot of  piecing and sewing  before the back is a factor but so far I'm enthused.

No comments:

Post a Comment