Monday, May 25, 2015

CYCLOCENTRIC SINGLE WIGGLE SQUARE-BEGINNINGS

I've been looking forward to making something with Single Wiggle Squares for a while now. Because this network is most easily generated by a grid of regular squares I tend to think of it as a fourfold network. This network generates circles of four fishes surrounding flower like figures sharing fishes with the four surrounding circles. Quilting this pattern is accomplished with pairs of wavy lines running two directions. Once again the colored pencils allowed me to change colors instead of erasing my error. This was my third poster paper sheet of this network. In the end I filled the whole sheet and then some making patterns for the back and border, cutting and taping as necessary.

Instead of bigger squares with the full quilting everywhere, I made them as small as I felt would be workable on the sewing machine. Outlining each piece
(single wiggle squares this time) and filling the half a square wide border plus a half square of each outside square in the field (center of wiggly squares).

I went through enough weirdness with odd fabrics in my first few projects. This time, it's all calico and gingham. If I counted right there are 13 kinds of calico and 2 kinds of gingham. It would have been simpler to make the whole back and border one piece. Instead I wanted to give the synced up front to back border one more try, with the quilting uniting the simplified center field with the barely marked, fully quilted border. Ideally, every fabric join should fall under a wiggly line of quilting.




 There were four of these made of gingham sewn together to make the frame/border, but first there were several traced on bakers parchment, cut out, folded up and test fitted around the field to make sure they'd fit. Several didn't fit, but eventually the corrections yielded the one below which led to what is probably the correct pattern at left. Baker's parchment is weird stuff. It's fairly transparent, but it won't hold tape or glue-stick worth a damn. It was however always in the kitchen and cheaper than vellum or some other tracing paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment