Monday, November 10, 2014

CAIRO, QUILTED FLEECE BABY BLANKET

 I waited awhile for the blanket to get where was going before I posted pictures of it. While the fleece was a little challenging to sew, with a 3/8 inch tab it held stitches well and the bulgy tabs disappeared into the batting just making it plumper not lumpy.


Quilt experiment #7, this fleece blanket, is based on the only one of my first 6 quilt experiments that was completed in time for the wedding. My first six efforts were all potholders. The Cairo patterned one (finished with 20 minutes to spare, sorry no pictures yet) inspired this 28x36 inch fleece baby blanket . The pictures I used to make both patterns came  from a Wikipedia article on the Cairo pattern, one of which also showed it's dual.
           Working in a 30x36 photoshop document, I pieced together a  template that was 28 by 36 inches. Leaving only half an inch outside the snub square grid representing the quilting. After cropping and adding guidelines, I removed the colors and cut the plan into sixteen 8 1/2 by 11 inch pieces with numbers and borders to allow gluing. The resulting full sized plan below is what I worked from.

So as not to risk breaking this document (post) and
having to do it all over (again). The Cairo story and the pieces of the pattern will  be in a series of posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment