Friday, November 28, 2014

Double Wiggle Black Rose minus Dark heart


Ok, it's a real quilt now! Not a huge one though. It's 6 3/8 x 7 3/4 inches, and plans for a bias tape are on hold. After sewing and ripping out 6 or 7 wobbly circles, I went with running a black line of stitches right over all the catch-stitches. Even these lines look a bit wobbly, but  only on the back (hot side). The way the catch-stitch sucks down deep into the quilt lines makes it much less visible especially since there's nothing to keep them on top since the pieces don't overlap. I like this well enough to do a scarf or a seamless bolster (couch pillow) out of it. I'd really like to see one with black stitches (also outlines only). That said, I'd rather see a section of a harlequin net (all rhombus s) in the same fabric but with black ones and green ones. With the severe stagger produced by the double wiggle I'll definitely model one in Photoshop and look at a while first, but I've gotta feeling it'll end up single-wiggled.



The next thing I'd like to test is adding a second layer of batting during the assembly process (or third if it's a potholder). I don't know but I suspect I'd catch less of the foilboard and if I'm right, the catch-stitch will secure it between the joins atop the other layer of batting. I wouldn't mind sewing a harlequin Potholder to find out, but maybe not next.

No comments:

Post a Comment