Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Dark Heart, Double Wiggle Triangle, Black Rose Jacquard Quilt


Ok, it's a potholder, and though it looks a bit like a
quilt, it's really just a bunch of wiggly, trapped, triangles of black rose brocade satin. The triangle to the right, is the first to be forced into cuts in a piece of foil covered foam half an inch thick. If you look carefully you can see the segmented edges of all the concave turnings. Without these the stitching tabs wouldn't fit, and instead wanted to pull tight on top of the board. Notice also, the relief cuts stop short of the line so they won't show on the surface.





The plan referenced with a couple of pieces of tape was transferred onto the foam-board with the compass point tilted over sideways. It still punched through some.









This was much better than the cardboard rubber cemented to foamcore. It also was a lot easier to force down into the grooves. The cardboard on foamcore board will work in a pinch, but pulling it out it is a bit scary. I've probably sewed some foil to the back of the quilt-top, but not much.







 Still a long ways from ready to pull from the board
at least my catch-stitch is getting fairly consistent. This is still slow and not all that smooth, but I'm totally ready to get back at it. What I really want to see are the black quilting circles, with a throby looking red (maybe black) heart on top.







I printed several different sizes and I'm not sure which one this one is. The heart was thumb nail quality barely changed (it's a doodle). My triangle template was 4 inches, point to point. After I cut one out , I  took a flexible french curve and added a 3/8 inch tab for stitching (or in this case, stuffing in the cut in the foamboard). To drive it in I used a key chain sized rewards card (plastic like a credit card) because my spline roller was too fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment